So what exactly is it about bank holiday sundays in Nottingham? I still can't put my finger on it but they always seem to be pretty mental and down at Moog on the 30th May it proved to be no exception as we welcomed the legend that is Colin Curtis, old rock city head Joe Buhdha and local jazzman Daddio to join us for another one of our Soul Buggin' all day parties.
As always things started off serene, calm and collected as the roast dinner massive chilled to tunes supplied by myself and fellow residents Wrighty and Mark A before the sun decided to go to bed and the dancers decided to get on the good foot. With a great crowd consisting of a lot of new faces turn out in force, come 9pm those floorboards at Moog were getting a good old stomping as nuff classics mixed with old and new grooves were getting thrown around with sheer lunacy.
All in all it was a great night and by all accounts you lot looked like you enjoyed it. Many thanks to our guest djs on the day. Here's some pics of the night.
So, with our livers still crying out for a visit to rehab and our knees still slighty worn out we ain't done just yet as all eyes look to our next party on Friday 25th June as we welcome long running Southport Soul Weekender resident Kev Beadle. Where to start with Kev!? Well, as one of one of the longest-running resident djs and main musical consultants for the Beat Bar at the legendary Southport Soul Weekender Kev Beadle is no stranger to putting together eclectic soul sets and is one of the weekenders true unsung heros having worked with just about everyone under the sun. Alongside his numerous residencies and worldwide dj appearances he also holds down a cracking weekly radioshow on www.solarradio.com where he regulary pushes the musical boundaries showcasing innovative future sounds deeply rooted in soul and jazz. Whether it be some new broken detroit techno jam or a little known dusty boogie joint his selections always inspire but more importantly make you want to suddenly get on the good foot!
This is one DJ that we've been looking to book for a few years and are happy to finally get him up to Nottingham. This will be our last friday night before we move to Saturdays which we'll be giving you more information on soon.
Love and hugs and I'll leave you with 15 tunes that I'm feeling at the moment.
Beane's June 2010 Chart
01. Aloe Blacc - Dollar / Take me back | Stones Throw 12"
02. System Status - Planet X | CDR
03. 80's Ladies - Ladies of the eighties | Soul Jazz LP
04. Cal Gibson - Witcha dubman | CDR
05. The Hundred In The Hands - Dressed In Dresden (Kyle Hall Remix) | Warp 12"
06. Ron Basejam - For the people, by the people (Ashley Beedle remix) | ISM CDR
07 Disco Deviance Presents: The Revenge Edits - Lost In Music / Shack up | Disco Deviance 12"
08. Deep Space Orchestra - Trust skynet | CDR
09. Seahawks - Keep On Growing / Omega Beach | Captains Log 12"
10. Seahawks - Astral Winds / High Tides | Static Caravan 7"
11. Williams - Confused Arp Disco | Love Triangle Music 12
12. Various Artists - PH Edits Vol. 1 | PH Edits 7"
13. DJ Day & Miles Bonny - Learnin' to fly | CDR
14. Johnny Mathis - Gone, gone, gone (Kenlou edit) | White 12"
15. Weather Report - River people | CBS LP